2012年2月10日金曜日

How To Build Louver Press

how to build louver press

Vintage Metalworks: Louver lover...

I've always like louvers....although they can be over done sometimes.  Actually, come to think of it, they are overdone quite a bit.  Regardless, I have been thinking about building a louver press for sometime.  If I am to go to the effort of welding a frame and machining all of the components, I want the machine to be more than just for louvers.  My idea is to build somewhat of a universal frame that can accept different attachments such as, obviously, a louver die but also possibly a bead roller attachment or a shrinker/stretcher attachment.  Just think, the possibilities are endless!


As my buddy Tom says

One thing at a time...

So, for now, I will first focus on the louver press.  Most of the louver dies currently commercially available are either crap or look way to industrial.  They all have flat profiles and no style.  I figured I could do better.

These are Rev A of the louver die collection.  I wanted a 2 1/2" wide louver with a crown to it.


They were made out of  O1 tool steel then heat treated after the machining was complete.  By they way, O1 doesn't cut too terrible with the correct tooling.  This was actually one of the first projects on #406

With the dies made, I have begun designing the frame.  I had several lengths of 4"x4"x1/4" tubing that with serve for the basis of the frame and I plan on covering the sides with 1/4" plate.  I want to run some analysis to make sure that I limit the deflection to an acceptable amount.  I still have quite a few details to work out, but here is somewhat I am thinking,



These are our most popular posts: how to build louver press

Building a Deck Lid

What size are the louvers Roger? I have a Williams Lobuck louver press which produces 21/2 and 1/12 louvers and are the same shape as yours. They really make the car. Mine are 3. Williams lives very near to me so I ... read more

Louver - Street Rodder Magazine

Louver - The Hole Story. Why We Love The Louver, Or How To Make Your Hot Rod Holey. From the April, 2007 issue of Street Rodder. By Chris Shelton. Photography by Brian Brennan ... They differ from the handheld units in the fact that they require pressure like that generated by a mechanical punch or hydraulic press to form their shape in metal. If louvers have a downside, its availability; not many more companies offer louver dies today as they did in the past. Mittler Bros., Van ... read more

Vintage Metalworks: Louver lover...

Ive always like louvers....although they can be over done sometimes. Actually, come to think of it, they are overdone quite a bit. Regardless, I have been thinking about building a louver press for sometime. If I am to go to the ... read more

How to Make Louvers « woodworkingisfun

How to Make Louvers. Louvered Window Cover. Louvers, in installations such as louvered doors or window shutters, are an attractive way to provide privacy and security while allowing for the free-flow of air on both sides of ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿